|What is a policy?|
- 1 Article 1: Definitions
- 2 Article 2: Purpose
- 3 Article 3: Recruitment Categories
- 4 Article 4: Recruitment Categories Definitions
- 5 Article 5: Electoral and Recruitment Periods
- 6 Article 6: Promotion
- 7 Article 7: Electoral Process
- 8 Article 8: Selection Committees for Selected Positions
- 9 Article 9: Application Process
- 10 Article 10: Interview Protocol & Deliberations
- 11 Article 11: Exceptions
- 12 Article 12: Reporting
- 13 Article 13: Amendments
- 14 Article 14: Interpretation
ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE SOCIETY OF MCGILL UNIVERSITY RECRUITMENT Policy Adopted October 2016, Amended August 2018
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred as “ EUS ”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 The EUS shall recognise all Departmental Societies, Clubs, and Design Teams set forth in the relevant articles of the EUS Constitution as EUS Groups
Article 2: Purpose
- 2.1 The purpose of the Recruitment Policy is to:
- 2.1.1 Ensure a transparent and open recruitment process for any available EUS positions.
- 2.1.2 Allow EUS members wishing to get involved to have the ability to do so.
- 2.2 EUS Regular Members applying for an EUS position have priority consideration over other applicants.
Article 3: Recruitment Categories
- 3.1 There are five Recruitment Categories which account for the diversity of EUS positions.
- 3.2 The Recruitment Categories are the following
- 3.2.1 Category A: Elected Officers.
- 3.2.2 Category B: Leadership positions selected by EUS Executives.
- 3.2.3 Category C: Leadership positions not selected by EUS executives
- 3.2.4 Category D: Student employees.
- 3.2.5 Category E: Event volunteers, delegates, and members of EUS Groups
Article 4: Recruitment Categories Definitions
- 4.1 Category A includes all elected positions defined in the EUS Constitution and Departmental Constitutions such as the EUS Executives, excluding the Vice President Finance, the EUS Representatives to the SSMU Council, the elected Departmental Societies’ Executives, and Class Representatives.
- 4.2 Category B includes all leadership positions selected by the EUS Executives in accordance with the Selection Committee Bylaws, such as the Vice President Finance, EUS Directors, Committee Chairs, Services Managers, etc.
- 4.3 Category C includes all leadership positions not selected by the EUS Executives such as selected Departmental Executives, Committee Executives, EUS Club Executives, and EUS Design Team Executives.
- 4.4 Category D includes all student employees hired by the EUS including, but not limited to, services employees in accordance with the EUS Part-Time Employee Policy.
- 4.5 Category E includes any event volunteers, delegates to conferences, members of EUS Clubs and members of Design Teams
Article 5: Electoral and Recruitment Periods
- 5.1 The Electoral Period is set by the EUS Chief Returning Officer in accordance with the EUS Constitution and the Electoral Bylaws.
- 5.2 Recruitment Periods are time periods where recruitment for EUS positions happen
- 5.2.1 Recruitment may take place outside of Recruitment Periods.
- 5.3 There are three Recruitment Periods:
- 5.3.1 Summer Recruitment Period;
- 5.3.2 Fall Recruitment Period;
- 5.3.3 Winter Recruitment Period;
- 5.4 The Summer Recruitment Period shall
- 5.4.1 take place from the start of month of June to end of the month of August.
- 5.4.2 serve to fill EUS positions in EUS Design Teams (Category C)
- 5.4.3 serve to recruit for EUS positions such as Director, CRO, Speaker by the EUS Executives (Category B)
- 5.5 The Fall Recruitment Period shall
- 5.5.1 take place in the month of September
- 5.5.2 serve primarily for EUS Groups to recruit new members (Category E)
- 5.5.3 serve to fill vacant leadership positions (Category B & C)
- 5.6 The Winter Recruitment Period shall
- 5.6.1 take place in the month of March
- 5.6.2 serves primarily for EUS Groups, apart from EUS Design Teams, to recruit for leadership positions (Category B & C)
Article 6: Promotion
- 6.1 Any positions in the EUS (Categories A – E) must be promoted for a minimum of five (5) school days.
- 6.1.1 Leadership positions selected by EUS Executives (Category B) follow additional promotional rules contained in the Selection Committee Bylaws.
- 6.2 Promotion may include the following activities:
- 6.2.1 Blurb containing information regarding the available positions in relevant newsletter(s) (Pipeline, Departmental newsletters, Clubs Newsletters and any other group emails)
- 6.2.2 Blurb containing information regarding the available positions on social media (e.g. Facebook, Slack, Twitter, etc)
- 6.2.3 Public announcement made to promote membership in relevant EUS Groups (e.g. class announcement)
- 6.2.4 Posting posters encouraging involvement, through buildings pertaining to McGill Engineering
- 6.2.5 Printing articles in the Plumber’s Ledger containing information about the group and how to apply for the positions therein
- 6.2.6 Any other EUS mode of communication available
- 6.2.7 Involvement Bullet board, Website
Article 7: Electoral Process
- 7.1 Elected Officers (Category A) follow the electoral rule outlined in the EUS Constitution, Departmental Constitutions and the EUS Elections Bylaws
- 7.2 An EUS Group containing elected leadership positions (Category C) should select an impartial Electoral Officer prior to its election process.
- 7.2.1 The Electoral Officer should not hold an executive position in the EUS Group nor be a candidate or applicant for a position within the same EUS Group
- 7.2.2 The Electoral Officer should notify the EUS Chief Returning Officer about the EUS Group’s electoral process and receive their approval before starting the electoral process
- 7.3 The EUS Group holding an election establishes a list containing a subset of EUS members allowed to vote in the election
- 7.3.1 the election should preferably be conducted through electronic ballots
- 7.3.2 a minimum participation rate is determined by the Policy or the Terms of Reference of the EUS Group
- 7.3.3 if no minimum participation rate is established, the Electoral Officer determines one, based on recommendations from the head of the EUS Group
- 7.4 The nomination process lasts no less than five (5) school days
- 7.5 The voting process lasts no less than two (2) schools days
- 7.6 The election results are released to the candidates by the Electoral Officer prior to its public diffusion
Article 8: Selection Committees for Selected Positions
- 8.1 A Selection Committee should be formed for selected positions (Categories B – E)
- 8.2 The Selection Committee contains no less than three members
- 8.2.1 The members of the Selection Committee cannot be an applicant for a position within the same EUS Group
- 8.2.2 The chair of any Selection Committee within an EUS Group is the head of that EUS Group, unless a proxy is given to another member of the group or otherwise specified in the EUS Group’s Bylaws or Terms of Reference
- 8.2.3 The quorum for any Selection Committee is set at 50% + 1
- 8.2.4 Members of the Selection Committee must be present during the interviews of all the applicants for a position to be able to make a decision on that position
- 8.3 The Selection Committee should create a google drive folder containing the applications for the EUS position, minutes from all the meetings of the Selection Committee including the interview process as well as the interview questions.
- 8.4 Selection Committees for leadership positions selected by the EUS Executives (Category B) shall follow additional rules outlined in the Selection Committee Bylaws
- 8.5 Selection Committees for delegates to conferences shall follow additional rules outlined in their respective Policy
Article 9: Application Process
- 9.1 Selected positions (Categories B – E) are open for application for at least five (5) school days and may place at the same time as the promotion process
- 9.2 All applicants for a position should complete and submit an application form during the prescribed application period
- 9.3 The chair of the Selection Committee may call an Application Review Meeting if they deem necessary the review of ny applications for possible rejection prior to interview
- 9.3.1 Quorum for an Application Review Meeting shall be 50% +1
- 9.3.2 During the Application Review Meeting, the Selection Committee may reject the application of an applicant prior to the interview if it deems that the applicant put insufficient effort into properly completing the application form or that the application does not fit the criteria set by the Selection Committee
- 9.3.3 The rejection of an applicant prior to interview requires a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote in favor at an Application Review meeting
- 9.3.4 The applicant should be notified by the Selection Committee as to the reason why they were not given the opportunity to pass an interview.
Article 10: Interview Protocol & Deliberations
- 10.1 All members of a Selection Committee should keep all meetings of the Selection Committee confidential to respect both the recruitment process and the applicants
- 10.1.1 Interviews are considered closed
- 10.1.2 No record of the proceedings can be published or made public by the Selection Committee
- 10.2 Each applicant going through the interview process should be asked an identical set of interview questions.
- 10.2.1Only questions pertaining to specific information in a candidate’s application may be asked to one applicant and not all others.
- 10.2.2All answers given by the applicants should be recorded in a single document and stored in the aforementioned google drive folder
- 10.3 After the completion of all the interviews, the Selection Committee meet to deliberate and select from amongst the applicants
- 10.4 If only one (1) application is received for a particular position, the deadline shall be extended for at least two (2) school days
- 10.5 If following the extension, there is no new applications for a the position, the Selection Committee may decide to select the applicant based solely on the completed application form and not conduct an interview
- 10.6 There must be at least 24 hours between the deliberation meeting and the results being made available to the candidate in private. An additional 24 hours shall be given until the results are made public.
Article 11: Exceptions
- 11.1 A position contained in Category E may be exempt of Articles 8.1 and 9.1 if the head of the respective EUS Group deemed the process unnecessary and if there is no EUS Bylaws or Policies - apart from the Recruitment Policy - preventing such an action
Article 12: Reporting
- 12.1 Prior to each Recruitment Period, all EUS Groups should create a list containing:
12.1.1all available selected EUS positions, current or potential, that need to be filled during the upcoming Recruitment Period;
- 12.2 The Recruitment List should be send to the Director or EUS Executive in charge of Recruitment at a date no later than the one they determined
- 12.3 Following the selection of an applicant for an EUS position, the chair of Selection Committee sends the google drive folder to the Director or EUS Executive in charge of Recruitment
- 12.3.1 The Director or EUS Executive in charge of Recruitment may only check for the completeness of the folder
- 12.3.2 The folder should remain confidential unless an appeal process is launched by one or more of the applicants
- 12.3.3 Twelve months following the selection for the EUS position, its corresponding folder can be discarded by the Director or EUS Executive in charge of Recruitment, in collaboration with the head of the EUS Group responsible for the folder
Article 13: Amendments
- 13.1 Amendments to this policy must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors of the EUS
Article 14: Interpretation
- 14.1 In the case of a conflict between this policy and the following documents, the following documents prevail in the order they are listed in:
- 14.1.1 The Quebec Companies Act
- 14.1.2 The EUS Letters Patent
- 14.1.3 The EUS Constitution
- 14.1.4 The EUS Bylaws