Frostbite Management Policy
|What is a policy?|
ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE SOCIETY OF MCGILL UNIVERSITY FROSTBITE MANAGEMENT Policy Adopted February 2008, Amended March 2013, August 2016
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred as “ EUS ”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 The EUS shall recognise all Departmental Societies, Clubs, and Design Teams set forth in the relevant articles of the EUS Constitution as EUS Groups
- 1.4 Frostbite : An EUS service committee operating as an ice cream store located in McConnell Engineering building.
Article 2: Purpose/Mission
- 2.1 The purpose of Frostbite shall be to:
- 2.1.1 Provide students and staff with quality, affordable, convenient, and efficient service.
- 2.1.2 Give students an opportunity to gain experience in operating a business.
- 2.2 The purpose of the Frostbite managers shall be to:
- 2.2.1 Ensure Frostbite does not end the fiscal year with a deficit.
Article 3: Management
- 3.1 The management shall consist of at least two (2) managers among whom responsibilities are divided evenly.
- 3.1.1 These managerial positions are at the discretion of the Vice President Services of the EUS.
- 3.2 The managers will remain at their post for one (1) full year, from May 1 st , to April 30 th of the following year, including the summer, unless otherwise arranged by the Vice President Services of the EUS.
- 3.2.1 Managers who are unavailable during the summer are responsible, along with the Vice President Services of the EUS, for finding an appropriate summer Manager(s).
- 3.3 The managers must notify the Vice President Services of the EUS one full semester in advance should they not be returning to their position. In the event that none of the managers are returning, the managers and the Vice President Services of the EUS may select up to two (2) Junior Managers.
- 3.3.1 The Junior Manager(s) will shadow the managers, with the intent of applying to become manager the following semester.
- 3.3.2 The Junior Manager(s) are not guaranteed a managerial position the following semester.
- 3.4 The managers shall be chosen by the Services Selection Committee.
- 3.4.1 Preference shall be given to applicants who have previously been employed at Frostbite.
- 3.5 The duties of the managers are non-remunerative.
- 3.5.1 The managers shall only be paid for work done within the capacity of a regular employee.
Article 4: Responsibilities
- 4.1 The managers shall carry out the following human resource duties:
- 4.1.1 Fairly advertising job openings and hiring new employees.
- 4.1.2 Maintaining personal relations with all employees.
- 4.1.3 Training new employees.
- 4.1.4 Submitting employee payroll to the Vice President Services of the EUS on time.
- 4.1.5 Ensuring employees perform duties as specified in the EUS Part-Time Employee Policy.
- 4.1.6 Ensuring fair scheduling of employees.
- 4.1.7 Maintaining maintenance guidelines and training packages.
- 4.2 The managers shall be responsible for the following inventory related duties:
- 4.2.1 Maintaining relations with the suppliers.
- 4.2.2 Controlling stocks of ice cream and all supplies.
- 4.3 The managers shall perform the following food service related duties:
- 4.3.1 Ensuring on a daily basis that Frostbite and all its equipment are clean and sanitary.
- 4.3.2 Ensuring that a valid food permit issued by Agriculture Canada be posted at all times.
- 4.3.3 Ensuring that a valid certificate of hygiene and food safety (Attestation en hygiène et salubrité alimentaires) issued by the Ministère de l’Agriculture, Pêcheries et Alimentation Québec is posted at all times.
- 4.3.4 Ensuring the minimum number of employees with hygiene and food safety training are met at all times.
- 4.4 The managers must ensure that the maintenance of all equipment is performed on schedule, as per the Maintenance Guidelines.
- 4.5 The managers shall be responsible for the following operations duties:
- 4.5.1 Ensuring that the cash register has an adequate amount of change on a daily basis.
- 4.5.2 Having a consistent physical presence at the store.
- 4.5.3 Enforcing professional business practice with clients.
- 4.5.4 Opening and closing the store.
- 1.1.1 Checking and promptly responding to any emails to the firstname.lastname@example.org account.
- 4.6 The managers must maintain communications with the Vice President Services of the EUS.
- 1.1 The managers shall coordinate advertising and determine a general marketing strategy for the services rendered to both staff and students.
- 4.7 The managers shall submit a year end Committee report and Fiscal report, no later than the deadline set by the Vice-President Internal to Vice President Services of the EUS.
Article 5: Employees
- 5.1 Employees are to be hired by Frostbite managers.
- 5.2 Managers will conduct interviews, if deemed necessary, to hire new employees.
- 5.3 Vice President Services of the EUS must be notified of, and approve all, employee hiring and termination processes.
- 5.4 All employees are subject to the EUS Part-Time Employee Policy.
- 5.5 If the employee is also a manager, termination of employee status, according to Article 12.5 of the EUS Part-Time Employee Policy, automatically ends the managerial status.
- 5.5.1 In the case that the fellow managers do not agree with the termination of a manager, the EUS President and Vice President Services of the EUS can solely issue a termination of employment.
Article 6: Financial
- 6.1 The managers must submit financial budgets to the Vice President Finance of the EUS, no later than the date set by the Vice President Finance of the EUS. Revised budgets shall be submitted at the beginning of the Winter semester.
- 6.2 The managers must compile monthly statements in accordance with the Vice President Finance of the EUS. This includes managing Internal and External accounts receivable and controlling accounts payable.
- 6.3 The managers must approve daily cash deposit and keep adequate records of cash flow.
- 6.4 The managers must formulate a price list and pricing policy for the entire year and have it approved by the Vice President Services of the EUS.
Article 7: Amendments
- 7.1 Amendments to this policy must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors
Article 8: Interpretation
- 8.1 In the case of a conflict between this policy and the following documents, the following documents prevail in the order they are listed in:
- 8.1.1 The Quebec Companies Act
- 8.1.2 The EUS Letters Patent
- 8.1.3 The EUS Constitution
- 8.1.4 The EUS Bylaws