Copi-EUS Management Policy
|What is a policy?|
ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE SOCIETY OF MCGILL UNIVERSITY COPI-EUS MANAGEMENT Policy Adopted February 2008, Amended March 2013, August 2016, August 2017
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred as “ EUS ”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 The EUS shall recognise all Departmental Societies, Clubs, and Design Teams set forth in the relevant articles of the EUS Constitution as EUS Groups
- 1.4 Copi-EUS : An EUS service committee operating as a copying/printing store located in McConnell Engineering building Room 6.
Article 2: Purpose/Mission
- 2.1 The purpose of the Copi-EUS shall be to:
- 2.1.1 Provide students and staff with quality, affordable, convenient, and efficient service.
- 2.1.2 Distribute notes and course packs to students.
- 2.1.3 Provide a modest profit for the EUS.
- 2.1.4 Give students an opportunity to gain experience in operating a business.
Article 3: Management
- 3.1 The management of Copi-EUS shall consist of at least three (3) managers:
- 3.1.1 Оne (1) General Manager
- 3.1.2 One (1) Assistant General Manager (Financial Officer)
- 3.1.3 Оne (1) Assistant Manager (Supplies and Technology Manager)
- 3.1.4 These managerial positions are at the discretion of the Vice President Services of the EUS.
- 3.2 The managers will remain at their post for one (1) full year, from May 1 st , to April 30 th of the following year, including the summer, unless otherwise arranged by the Vice President Services of the EUS
- 3.2.1 Managers who are unavailable during the summer are responsible, along with the Vice President Services of the EUS, for finding an appropriate summer Manager(s).
- 3.3 The managers must notify the Vice President Services of the EUS one full semester in advance should they not be returning to their position. In the event that none of the managers are returning, the managers and the Vice President Services of the EUS may select up to two (2) Junior Managers.
- 3.3.1 The Junior Manager(s) shall shadow the managers, with the intent of applying to become manager the following semester.
- 3.3.2 The Junior Manager(s)shall not be guaranteed a managerial position the following semester.
- 3.4 The managers shall be chosen by a Services Selection Committee.
- 3.4.1 Preference shall be given to applicants who have previously been employed at Copi-EUS.
- 3.5 The duties of the managers are non-remunerative.
- 3.5.1 The managers shall only be paid for work done within the capacity of a regular employee.
Article 4: Responsibilities
- 4.1 The managers shall carry out the following human resource duties:
- 4.1.1 Fairly advertising job openings and hiring new employees.
- 4.1.2 Maintaining personal relations with all employees.
- 4.1.3 Training new employees.
- 4.1.4 Submitting employee payroll to the Vice President Services of the EUS on time.
- 4.1.5 Ensuring employees perform duties as specified in the EUS Part-Time Employee Bylaws.
- 4.1.6 Ensuring fair scheduling of employees.
- 4.1.7 Maintaining maintenance guidelines and training packages.
- 4.2 The managers shall be responsible for purchases, maintenance and rentals of all equipment. This includes the following duties:
- 4.2.1 Maintaining relations with the lessors and service technicians, to ensure the upkeep of all equipment and minimize downtime.
- 4.2.2 Being knowledgeable of all existing contracts, and at due date, making educated recommendations to the Board of Governors about renewing the contracts or purchasing/leasing new equipment.
- 4.2.3 Ensuring that maintenance of all equipment is performed on schedule, as per the Maintenance Guidelines.
- 4.2.4 Making minor improvements and renovations to the copy centre premises when necessary.
- 4.3 The managers shall be responsible for the following operational duties:
- 4.3.1 Ensuring that the cash register has an adequate amount of change on a daily basis.
- 4.3.2 Maintaining signs posted outside the store such as the Copi-EUS white board and keeping advertisements up to date.
- 4.3.3 Having a consistent physical presence at the store.
- 4.3.4 Enforcing professional business practice with clients.
- 4.3.5 Maintaining the inventory and ordering supplies.
- 4.3.6 Maintaining the printers, including: changing the ink, maintaining paper levels, and calling for service if necessary.
- 4.3.7 Checking and promptly responding to any emails to the firstname.lastname@example.org account.
- 4.3.8 Being able to perform all of the duties of the Permanent Employee, including:
- 126.96.36.199 Opening and closing the store.
- 4.4 The managers shall maintain communications with the Vice President Services of the EUS.
- 4.5 The managers shall coordinate advertising and determine a general marketing strategy for the services rendered to both staff and students.
- 4.6 The managers shall submit a year end Committee report and Fiscal report, no later than the deadline set by Vice-President Services of the EUS
Article 5: Employees
- 5.1 Employees are to be hired by Copi-EUS managers.
- 5.2 Managers shall conduct interviews, if deemed necessary, to hire new employees.
- 5.3 Vice President Services of the EUS must be notified of, and approve all, employee hiring and termination processes.
- 5.4 All employees are subject to the EUS Part-time Employee Bylaws.
- 5.5 If the employee is also a manager, termination of employee status, according to the EUS Part-time Employee Bylaws, automatically ends the managerial status.
- 5.5.1 In the case that the fellow managers do not agree with the termination of a manager, the President and Vice President Services of the EUS can solely issue a termination of employment.
Article 6: Financial
- 6.1 The managers must submit budgets to the Vice President Finance of the EUS, no later than the date set by the Vice President Finance of the EUS.
- 6.2 The managers must compile monthly statements in accordance with the Vice President Finance of the EUS including, but not limited to, managing Internal and External accounts receivable and controlling accounts payable.
- 6.3 The managers must promptly submit invoices to the bookkeeper after order verification.
- 6.4 The managers shall approve the daily cash deposit and keep adequate records of cash flow.
- 6.5 The managers shall formulate a price list and pricing policy for the entire year and have it approved by the Vice President Services of the EUS.
Article 7: Amendments
- 7.1 Amendments to this policy must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors
Article 8: Interpretation
- 8.1 In the case of a conflict between this policy and the following documents, the following documents prevail in the order they are listed in:
- 8.1.1 The Quebec Companies Act
- 8.1.2 The EUS Letters Patent
- 8.1.3 The EUS Constitution
- 8.1.4 The EUS Bylaws